Search box

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

What’s In Your Saddlebags, Part II…“Just In Case”?

When I posted my list of things that I carry in my saddlebags a few days ago, I was surprised at the comments regarding “just in case” stuff.

What is just in case stuff and how far are we supposed to anticipate things to happen? Hmmm…

When I lived in Austin, Texas, I worked for the corporate office of a major home furnishings retailer. My job function required 80 % travel time so I was always gone. In short, I had to haul around several suits (and shoes), clothes to work in the warehouse racks (and shoes), workout gear (and shoes), and loafing clothes (and shoes). Not to mention my toiletries and all the other ‘woman’ gear. Add my laptop, my briefcase, and my purse.

Oh, I hated schlepping all that gear.

I learned really quickly how to consolidate my gear and what was REALLY necessary. Yes, I still continued to haul around four or five pairs of shoes and the necessary clothing, but cutting out the ‘what if’ stuff really helped reduce the amount of what I carried.

Where do you draw the line at “what if”? Everything in my saddlebag I use. If it’s in there and I haven’t used it ever then out it goes. I can’t ever think of a time that I really needed something I didn’t bring along and it caused a negative experience in a ride.

In my riding circle, I’m known as the Lost Girl. Not only does that apply with my innate ability to get lost going half a block, I tend to lose stuff too. So if I don’t bring extra stuff, I have less stuff to keep track of and/or lose. Or have stolen.

Besides, I need one saddlebag to be partly empty. For all the stuff I buy during the ride :-). There’s nothing worse to going somewhere fully packed out and not being able to find room to bring anything back.

Keep the shiny side up!

~The Rainbow Wahine

No comments: