Search box

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

On Deck for the Experienced Rider’s Course

The idea of having a all female Experienced Rider’s Course (ERC) has been kicked around the Mountain Shadow Riders and the Ladies of Harley groups. I was unsure of taking the course due to timing issues but it seems last night I was talked into taking it. Seems one of my fellow motorcycle riders just wouldn’t take no for an answer.

I’ve always said that if I were to take the course, I’d probably take it on my V-Star. Why? Because it’s the easiest of the two bikes to maneuver.

Thank goodness I’m a female…and have the right to change my mind at any given moment!

I’ve been doing quite a bit of in-town riding due to the Scavenger Hunt I’m participating in. What I’ve found is the riding that I’ve been having to do is quite different than the typical cruising I normally do in town. Spotting the items I need photos with requires many U-turns and backtracking as well as the maneuvering required getting my motorcycle in the shot.

This is a good thing because I’m being forced to do some real clutch/throttle/brake work at slow speeds. It’s one thing to be able to make decisions while in the saddle at high speeds, straight line cruising or navigating curves. Being able to work the clutch/throttle/brake at slow speeds and getting a motorcycle go where you want it to go is quite another and as equally important.

In the short time I’ve been Scavenger Hunting, I’ve found that my skill and confidence level on my Harley has increased. I am at the point that I’m confident enough to consider taking my Fatboy out on the ERC course. In my particular riding experience, I find that riding my V-Star is easier to maneuver than my Fatboy.

I think taking the ERC will be more challenging on my Harley, but at the same time I believe that taking the course on the Fatboy will give me more benefits because it is the difficult of the two to ride.

We’ll see how it goes. Between now and June, I may change my mind again!! I’m hoping that a good many of my riding gal pals will take the course with me!!

Keep the Shiny Side Up!

~The Rainbow Wahine

No comments: