Search box

Friday, January 13, 2006

Like My First Time Again...It's Time and I'm Afraid

It’s time to get back in the saddle. On Friday the 13th no less. I haven’t been back on my bike since my bump a couple of weeks ago. I’m excited that I have the opportunity to ride but with it comes the dreaded anticipation of ‘what if’. I didn’t think my apprehension would be so strong, but evidently it has been hanging out in the back of my mind since I spent last night thinking about it. To the tune of 5:00 this morning. I got an e-mail from a fellow rider on the east coast and I responded. He must think I’m some kind of nutcase answering back at that time of the morning!!

I dealt with the ‘what ifs’ like I do with everything else. I weighed the pros and cons.

What if I crash?
What if I don’t crash?
What if I get hit again?
What if I get hit again and get lucky again and don’t fall?
What if I don’t get hit again?
What if I drop my motorcycle?
What if I don’t drop my motorcycle?

This debate goes on and on. Gee, I’m having this no-win argument with myself! This exercise does me good because with every negative point I bring up, I have at least one (and most of the time two, three, or four) positive ones to counter!

When I am talking with my girlfriends and encouraging them to have dreams and then live them, I find myself countering their negativity in the same manner as I’m doing now. Instead of focusing on the why nots and why I can’t, shouldn’t or won’t….I ask why I should, how I could and what’s the worst that can happen. I think I’d rather risk the opportunity of failure rather by trying than guaranteeing that same failure by not trying at all. I also believe that this rule should apply to all aspects of my life.

So if something bad should happen, I’m prepared. I have motorcycle insurance to cover the bike. I have my insurance to cover me. I have the Harley dealership down the street that would love to sell me replacement parts and more accessories that I *think* I need!! Well, since I plan on taking the Star out for the first time in three months (yikes!)…..it won’t be Harley parts but Yamaha parts *smile*.

If nothing should happen, then I’ll get the opportunity to once again experience the reason WHY I ride….the thrill of the being outside, the feeling of sunshine on my face, the freedom of seeing the world with a 360° view. The challenge of navigating a beautiful piece of machinery down a twisty road. The roar of my somewhat quiet pipes!
The opportunity to create a new story to share with my friends.

I can’t be much of an advocate of women in motorcycling if I don’t ride either. Especially when I have two beautiful reasons sitting right there in my garage.

On that note I am going to wrap this up, tie up a few loose ends that I need to get done, do my safety check, gear up, and crank up my Cranky. It’s a beautiful day today—the weather is clear and the temps should be in the upper 50’s.

For the record, I’m still afraid. In my heart, I know it’s going to be alright.

I’ll let you know how it goes!!

Happy Friday the 13th everyone!

Keep the Shiny Side UP!!!

No comments: