Search box

Search Results

Friday, January 13, 2006

Like My First Time Again...It's Time and I'm Afraid

It’s time to get back in the saddle. On Friday the 13th no less. I haven’t been back on my bike since my bump a couple of weeks ago. I’m excited that I have the opportunity to ride but with it comes the dreaded anticipation of ‘what if’. I didn’t think my apprehension would be so strong, but evidently it has been hanging out in the back of my mind since I spent last night thinking about it. To the tune of 5:00 this morning. I got an e-mail from a fellow rider on the east coast and I responded. He must think I’m some kind of nutcase answering back at that time of the morning!!

I dealt with the ‘what ifs’ like I do with everything else. I weighed the pros and cons.

What if I crash?
What if I don’t crash?
What if I get hit again?
What if I get hit again and get lucky again and don’t fall?
What if I don’t get hit again?
What if I drop my motorcycle?
What if I don’t drop my motorcycle?

This debate goes on and on. Gee, I’m having this no-win argument with myself! This exercise does me good because with every negative point I bring up, I have at least one (and most of the time two, three, or four) positive ones to counter!

When I am talking with my girlfriends and encouraging them to have dreams and then live them, I find myself countering their negativity in the same manner as I’m doing now. Instead of focusing on the why nots and why I can’t, shouldn’t or won’t….I ask why I should, how I could and what’s the worst that can happen. I think I’d rather risk the opportunity of failure rather by trying than guaranteeing that same failure by not trying at all. I also believe that this rule should apply to all aspects of my life.

So if something bad should happen, I’m prepared. I have motorcycle insurance to cover the bike. I have my insurance to cover me. I have the Harley dealership down the street that would love to sell me replacement parts and more accessories that I *think* I need!! Well, since I plan on taking the Star out for the first time in three months (yikes!)…..it won’t be Harley parts but Yamaha parts *smile*.

If nothing should happen, then I’ll get the opportunity to once again experience the reason WHY I ride….the thrill of the being outside, the feeling of sunshine on my face, the freedom of seeing the world with a 360° view. The challenge of navigating a beautiful piece of machinery down a twisty road. The roar of my somewhat quiet pipes!
The opportunity to create a new story to share with my friends.

I can’t be much of an advocate of women in motorcycling if I don’t ride either. Especially when I have two beautiful reasons sitting right there in my garage.

On that note I am going to wrap this up, tie up a few loose ends that I need to get done, do my safety check, gear up, and crank up my Cranky. It’s a beautiful day today—the weather is clear and the temps should be in the upper 50’s.

For the record, I’m still afraid. In my heart, I know it’s going to be alright.

I’ll let you know how it goes!!

Happy Friday the 13th everyone!

Keep the Shiny Side UP!!!

No comments: