Search box

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Riding For A Cause

And sometimes the only reason is...'cause I can.

Two weekends ago, I once again got on the road to attempt a ride out to Gallup, NM to join The Run For The Wall. I will say that it was a decision that I did not make lightly; the trip last year was difficult and I was finding little enthusiasm to attempt it again. I had a self-argument going back and forth until the day before I left. Fortunately, someone impartially listened and laid it out and I made my decision.

She was right, I did have a good time.

Instead of attempting the ride to Gallup in one afternoon, I left on Wednesday. The weather was a little blustery, but nothing unmanageable. I was riding along with my good friend Screamer and our trip would take us to Las Vegas, NM for the night.

Once out on the highway, the headwind was tough. I'm having Deja Vu all over again! No! No! No! I don't want a repeat of last year! I do not want to deal with yukky interstate riding!!

Fortunately, it was not. Again, the only battle was headwind and the ride to Las Vegas was uneventful. Screamer and I even managed a quick evening walk to stretch out the legs!

The next morning we headed out to Gallup! A short ride of a hundred plus miles--piece of cake, no? LOL....

Leaving Las Vegas (maybe that should be the title)--was chilly. Like 40 something degrees chilly. It is not sunny bright, but sunny sorta bright. Riding in the sun, it is really terrific. Riding under cloud cover, not so much! And there is more cloud cover than sunshine.

Our next town would be Santa Fe. As we ride in, it's a little early for lunch, but we look anyhow. I'm thinking that I need a fruit stop. I've gotten in the habit of eating an apple for snack and I've missed those apples...so I'm on the lookout for a grocery store. Riding down the interstate, I see a sign "Whole Foods". I'm thinking that would be a good place to stop!

I don't get overly excited about stopping since I'm not leading. However, I know my friend Screamer well enough that it is an attractive stop for her as well....so I'm happy when the turn signal lights and we exit.

I guess it's a good thing that we aren't on a tight time schedule. More dollars, more merchandise than "just" apples and an hour later...we are back on the road. Jeez, you'd think we are hermits that never see the merchandise inside Whole Foods!!

Once back on the road, we lallygag until Albuquerque. There's a lot of traffic in a suburb outside of Albuquerque. Traffic and police. Hmmmmm....

Oh, that's right, President Obama is visiting a local high school for a town hall meeting. I think I used up my "meet the President points" last December when I "ran into him" at the Honolulu Zoo.

At any rate, we pull into Gallup about 45 minutes before the RFTW pull in. I've never done the Gallup stop, but many of my friends tell me it is their favorite of the whole Central Route. I'm about to find out why.....

And you'll find out about it tomorrow!!

Keep the shiny side up!

~Rainbow Wahine

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself this time around. Can't wait to hear the rest.

Ride on,
Torch

Jovita @ Inky Impressions said...

I thought about you and Karla the entire time that you did RFTW. I remember reading your entries from last years ride and I was hoping this year would be better for you (weather wise) :) Can't wait to read more! Jovi

Christine said...

The weather was much better...and yes, the story does get quite interesting. I know your concerns about the ride, Jovi, but you should have done it. You would have done fine.